Monday, October 29, 2012

Breeders' Cup 2012: Anticipation

By Mary Cage

As I eagerly anticipate my departure to Santa Anita for the 2012 Breeders’ Cup, I reminisce upon my pair of expeditions to the two-day event that attracts a plethora of the most elite Thoroughbred racehorses in the world. Both of the Breeders’ Cups I have been to were beneath the esteemed Twin Spires in a magical land most people refer to as Churchill Downs. Without a doubt, I will miss the beautiful bluegrass and Churchill Downs, but I am certainly enthusiastic about my first expedition to the Great Race Place, a racetrack enriched with history that has been graced with some of the greatest racehorses of all-time, including my personal favorite, Zenyatta, as well as some of my favorites from the early days, such as Citation and Seabiscuit.

For the past two years, I have gazed across the track in the mornings as some of the best equine athletes in the world milled to and fro, sporting Breeders’ Cup saddle towels. Days later, I have watched them compete in some of the most challenging, renowned races on the planet. Seeing the world’s best Thoroughbreds is an incomparable experience – the kind that will forever be among my absolute greatest memories. And within hours, I will only be adding to those memories.

My eyes will focus upon the superstars of the Sport of Kings: Wise DanRoyal DeltaGame On DudeAwesome Feather, Groupie Doll, My Miss AureliaMucho Macho Man, Shanghai Bobby, Questing, Executiveprivilege, Point of Entry, and so many more. It's safe to say that I am profoundly excited. In less than two days, my heart will soar as my eyes take in the sights of the 2012 Breeders’ Cup. I, for one, cannot wait! And don’t worry, I will keep you all updated!

Drosselmeyer prior to winning the 2011 Breeders' Cup Classic
Photo by Terri Cage

2 comments:

  1. If you can Mary (and this is just because I really like him ;) ) Get a good look at Know More.. I am really hoping that he wins!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try! I'll try my best to post photos and/or a video of him if I do.

      Delete