Tuesday, April 29, 2014

HRN: Dana Barnes' Derby Hoppertunity

Each time I post a new article on my Horse Racing Nation blog, I post a notice on this blogThese notices include an excerpt from the beginning of that article and a link to the piece. My latest Horse Racing Nation article is. . .


Dana Barnes' Derby Hoppertunity


"Atop a bay colt Dana Barnes sits with the iconic twin spires of Churchill Downs before her. Media surrounds the track, cameras and notepads in hand as they observe the contenders for the 140th running of America’s signature race – the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). The colt Barnes is aboard, Hoppertunity, is among those hopefuls.

This certainly is not the first time Barnes has been in this situation. Having been an exercise rider for Bob Baffert since 1997, she has ridden each of the Hall of Fame trainer’s three Derby winners – Silver Charm, Real Quiet, and War Emblem. Since Barnes began working for Baffert, the trainer has had twenty-one Kentucky Derby starters.

“Having a Derby horse is every owner, trainer, groom, and exercise rider’s dream,” Barnes said. “We have been so lucky to have been here so many times. There's nothing like the Derby. This next week will get really crazy. We have fourteen horses here so we keep busy. We don't have time to get nervous. The first time I came, I thought I would never have chance to come back. It's pretty overwhelming.”. . ."


Click here to read the rest of my newest Horse Racing Nation article.

No comments:

Post a Comment